Wednesday, February 2

The Blue Valentine

Its February already and everyone knows that February is popularly known for Valentines! Yes, its almost that time of the year again. For couples, its the time to remind each other the love that they have. For singles, its the time to remind them that they are free from obligation and are actually happy. For those who loves someone secretly, its the time to express. Oh yes, the time of the year where Cupid is seen everywhere and hearts are decorated in restaurants. Roses, tulips and chocolates will be everywhere. 






But this post isn't about Valentines itself, it just so happened that the title of the film I fell in love with is Blue Valentine. I just can't put it into words, everything about Blue Valentine is BEAUTIFUL! The acting, the cinematography, the arrangement, it's breath taking. 



Blue Valentine is a story about a couple, Dean Pereira (Ryan Gosling) and Cindy Heller (Michelle Williams), and the falling apart of their marriage. The film is set into two storyline between their courtship and how their lives turned out. (That's all I'm going to say)

The contrasting images and story of the movie makes this film unique and unforgettable. The ironic scene between their first kiss as a couple and their last kiss as a couple at the ending is heartbreaking. On one side, the film tells the story of a young couple falling in love, thinking that they can overcome whatever the world has for them. On another, it tells about two people who loves each other but has become estranged from each other. 

Yes, it is a love story, a tragic one. The film portrays a very realistic approach on marriage and the dramas before, during and after it. The drama elements given by this film will leave you, if not crying, teary-eyed. I love the film and everything about it. The script was amazing, the shots, how it was directed, just everything. Most of all, I loved how the actors portrayed their roles.



Gosling and Williams deserved every nomination they had for the film. I'm just sad that only Williams was given a nod by the Academy Award. I think that Gosling should win every  best actor award there it. Gosling portraying the drunk and emotional husband is amazing and every time he cries in this film, you just want to cry with him. He perfectly portrayed two very different characters for the role. A drunk husband and a loving husband at the same time. This is probably the best of Williams. Her portrayal as a mother and worn out wife is simply flawless. 

This movie took me surprisingly. Although I've read great reviews about it, I didn't know what I was expecting until I've seen the film. With all the films I've watched recently, this one is refreshing to see. The perfect blending of romance and drama, the flawless acting, the amazing direction from Derek Cianfrance made me gave this film 5 stars

Another thing about this film, snapshots of when Dean and Cindy were still a young couple was shown during the film's credits. Just made the last scene more emotional.

I hope that everyone watches this film, it's amazing and a kick for reality. As what Gosling said in an interview, "This film shows what happens when people think love is enough."



Here are some quotes from the film that I love.

"I feel that men are more romantic than women. When we get married, we marry like one girl. Coz we're resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think, "I'll be an idiot if I didn't marry this girl coz she's so great. But seems that girls get to a place, they just picked the best option or something ... I mean they spend their whole lives looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy that's got a good job and who'll stick around." -Dean

"Look, I am done, I'm done with this, I'm done being angry like this, I'm done being you drunk like this, I am done!" -Cindy

"I'm so out of love for you, I've got nothing left for you, nothing, nothing." - Cindy

"Don't say stuff you can't take back." -Dean

"You made a promise to me, you said for better or for worse, you said that, you said it. It was a promise. Now this is my worse, ok this is my worse. But I'm gonna get better. You just gotta give me a chance to get better." -Dean


Official Trailer




2 comments:

Unknown said...

i am seriously crushing on michelle williams after i saw this film!

DonyaMayang said...

me too. they were both great with acting their roles. amazing jud.