Thursday, May 20

Differentiating Asian Dramas

Last Monday I decided to watch a Japanese Drama. I've been a fan of Asian Dramas, my favorite of which is "It Started With A Kiss". It's been a long time since I saw an asian drama. The last asian drama that I have seen was Absolute Boyfriend, which is so long ago. 

When I say Asian Dramas I meant, Korean, Taiwanes and Japanese dramas. You might notice I didn't include our very own Filipino Drama, it's because I can't find them in the internet and because I see them on the television anyway. 

Those three dramas from different countries have their own distinct characteristics.

Korean Dramas: Most of the time the girl antagonist is a strong persona. She's poor and is working hard for her family. She then meets a playboy or just an arrogant man who turns out to be freaking rich. For some reason, fate leads them together. At first the girl hates the boy, then secretly one of them falls in love with the other, then they found out that there's a third party (it's usually the best friend) and their love affair is put onto hold and much blah blah blah, they end up together anyway. Take note: the third party is usually the good guy or girl and they never get to have the antagonist. No matter how true their love is. Tsk Tsk Tsk
Full House

Taiwanese Drama: For the most T-drama I've seen the girl antagonist has a witty and jolly character. She is in love with someone who doesn't love her back or that's what she thinks. Sometimes with T-drama, there are so many men antagonist and they're all for the love of the girl but of course, the girl can only end up with one guy and it's always the bad boy image. And with much blah blah blah, they find each other and end up together.
It Started With A Kiss

Japanese Drama: Now, J-dramas are unique. You might ask why, this is because most dramas are live action of mangas or animes. You know that Japan is famous for their awesome manga and artistically beautiful animes, ayt? Well, their dramas are also from mangas or animes. Many famous Japanese dramas comes from mangas and animes e.g. Hana Kimi, Honey and Clover, Absolute Boyfriend and even their movies like Death Note comes from manga. Saying that, you should expect that J-dramas most of the time are romance comedy or if its a love story then you should expect it will have awesome stunts and talents from the antagonist. 

Nodame Cantabile 

But this is a generalization. I am not saying that all dramas from those country are really like those of what I said. Because sometimes awesome script writers has the guts to actually make their own story and does not follow the mainstream and tested plots.

In Korea, for example, they have awesome epic and historical shows such as Jumong and Jewel in the Palace. They also have medical dramas and law dramas. 

My knowledge is also limited to the dramas I've seen. The dramas I've seen are usually the famous ones because I don't want to see those who only has two stars on it. Who wants to see a boring drama anyway? 


If you want to try watching Asian Dramas you can go to:




No copyright infringement intended with the use of photos.

No comments: